Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Jack's Wolves Wish Night

It's no secret I LOVE hockey.  To be specific I love Chicago Wolves hockey.  I have been taking Jack to hockey games for a few years now - this is his third season.  I remember deciding it was time to take him to a game.  I worried about if he would freak out when the fire and fireworks started.  I worried about if he would be able to sit through the whole game.  As always, Jack pleasantly surprised me when he loved having his face painted and playing at the Family Fun Fest before the game, got excited when the music and fireworks began, added Skates to his growing list of friends, and sat through the whole game without any fuss at all.




Jack's First Wolves Game



He only went to one game that first season, but the next year he went to a few more.  It was always fun to hear the people around us talk about Jack - all good things of course.  They would comment about how cute he was, how much he seemed to love the game and were even surprised that he would watch the game.




This year, Jack has been to quite a few games, but no will ever compare tot he February 15, 2014 game.




Back in October, before the season even started, I stumbled across a page on the Wolves website for making a Wolves Wish.  I wish I would have saved the message I sent, but I didn't.  So unlike me, but looking back I probably never thought anyone would read it, let alone act on it.  I remember the message being something short about how much Jack loves the Wolves, Skates and hockey.  How that when the little kids come out on the ice to play between periods, Jack cries because he wants so badly to be out there.  I mentioned that he wanted to learn to play hockey, but that he has hip dysplasia and was having an operation in November; and that he couldn't learn to skate or play hockey until after the surgery and the doctor said it was okay.




Much to my surprise I did receive a response (and as I recall it was rather quickly after I sent the message via their website).  Right out of the gate, Courtney Mahoney had a wonderful idea for how Jack could get his wish to be on the ice a little earlier than when he begins his professional AHL career.  She suggested that they would have Jack join Skates on the ice and help throw t-shirts during an intermission during a game.




With only a few games that the Wolves would be in town before the circus arrived and Jack's scheduled surgery date, we tried for a game day after the surgery.  Not knowing exactly how long Jack would be in his cast, and not knowing what recovery would be like after he was freed I shot for a game in February.  October to February - I am not a patient person, that was one heck of a wait for me.  I was so excited for Jack, but I didn't tell him anything.




And that's where I'll leave you until I can properly finish the post about Jack's big night.

No comments:

Post a Comment