Thursday, May 1, 2014

My Hero

I wrote this almost 5 years ago, but I think it's worth re-sharing today.


May 8, 2009 at 2:03am

As I sit here on the eve of services for my baby son I can't help but try to make sense of what has happened.

Some know the story of my pregnancy with Kyle and Jack. At 22 weeks I was in the hospital because Jack's water broke. They actually believe it broke at 20 weeks when I was in the doctor's office because of loss of fluid, but they couldn't prove it was amniotic fluid then. At 22 weeks I was put on bed rest until one of two things happened - I went into labor or I developed an infection that required delivery of the boys. For five long weeks I sat on the couch. Each week I went in and the doctor was amazed that both boys continued to grow and have good blood flow through their cords. Each week Jack hung in without his amniotic sac sealing over and re-filling with fluid. Each week Kyle sat under my rib cage bearing the weight. You see, the doctor told me that had this been a singleton pregnancy that I would have lost the baby at 20 weeks when my water broke because without the cushion of the fluid filled amniotic sac, the baby would not have been able to bear the weight of my body; my skin, muscles and organs would not have moved and stretched to allow growth.

When the boys were born, they were amazed at what good shape they were in given their circumstances. They were amazed when they overcame the many obstacles they did such as Kyle's PDA and Jack being on a ventilator. And they were stunned when N.E.C. claimed Kyle's life.



As I search for meaning I can only come up with this...

In October 2008 God put out a call for a very special angel. He told the angles that it would be a short visit, but that the angel that chose to go on the mission would be well loved. The angel would need to be strong because another's life depended on it. The angel would only have a short time with a Mommy and a brother, but the angel would forever be remembered as a loved twin. We are very blessed that Kyle stepped up and took on the mission. Without Kyle, Jack would not be here today. And while I would give anything to have both of my beautiful boys with me, I know Kyle started as Jack's guardian angel and that he will forever be watching over Jack.



A hero is a person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life. A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.  Kyle is a hero.  Kyle is my hero.

2 comments: