Thursday, November 7, 2013

Things Not to Say to a Hip Mommy

Today was the start of getting things done before the big day.  First I had a meeting with "big" school to talk about Jack coming back to school after his surgery.  While I will not be sending him back to daycare ("little" school) - thanks to my wonderful parents I have those few hours covered - I will be sending him back to "big" school the week after Thanksgiving.

I am not really sure what I expected during the meeting.  I will admit that somewhere in the back of my head I half expected them to say that since it is only pre-school, and it is only 2 -3 weeks, and it is more involved than they were expecting that maybe it would be best if Jack stayed home.  Thankfully though they seem up to taking on the task.

Perhaps you're wondering why I am even sending Jack to school?  Well there are two big reasons.  One, I want him to get back into his normal routine.  He's going to likely have some difficulties out of the cast.  It's important for him to know that things are still the same.  It may have to be done a different way, or it may take longer, but he can still do all the same things he did before.  Two, Jack is such a sociable child.  I cannot imagine how stir crazy he would go for 4 week without seeing his friends and being stuck in the house.  He'd go crazy.

They had many of the same questions a lot of people have.  Good thing I did that post about the questions I asked at the doctor's visit a few weeks ago and printed a few copies of that page to take along.  The only things we have to nail down are transporting Jack to and from school and the potty issue.  They are thinking keeping him in his wheelchair to get him on and off the bus will be the best solution, so I just have to make sure it is okay to be used in transportation on the bus.  As for how Jack will go potty at school, they are thinking that the best option for that will be a handheld urinal.  While I don't disagree that is the best solution, I feel sorry for them having to do that.  As for Jack, he will likely think it's cool.  Why are we not having them use a potty?  because the slipperiness of the cast on the plastic toilet seat is an accident waiting to happen - something we all agree on.

So, from that meeting which left me feeling much better about sending Jack to school in the cast, I went to get his temporary handicap parking pass.  This is another thing I feel so torn about.  I almost don't want to get one because I feel sorry for those who are truly handicapped.  But on the other hand, dealing with a wheelchair and a little boy in a body cast is not something I want to do from a long distance in the Chicago winter.


I'm thankful for you,
but hate that you are necessary
So, the process of getting the permit was not a time consuming as I feared it might be.  I was in and out with the pass in 15 minutes or so.  However what led me to the title of this post is a comment from the gentleman at the DMV.  During the small talk taking place he, of course, asked me why Jack would need the pass.  I explained that he has hip dysplasia and that he has to have a second surgery and will be in a body cast.  His comment?  "Hip dysplasia?  I thought only German Shepherds got that."  No Sir, I wish that were the case.  Unfortunately small children deal with the effects of hip dysplasia at a much larger number than people realize.








Million dollar idea #122

It's funny.  I went to Dr. J's office with a medical book and a children's book about hip dysplasia, and the book I put together for Jack and his friends.  He was amazed and took down the information on the books.  I remember 4 years ago when I was looking for information on hip dysplasia, how difficult it was to find anything on the Internet.  Everything was about dogs and hip dysplasia.  And while I would never wish hip dysplasia on anyone or any animal, information about people, children especially, is a bit more important.  Even today when I look for information it's hard to find.  Maybe that's my new million dollar idea - when things settle down I will write a book.

 
 
Find it on Amazon


Find it on Amazon














Made with Shutterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment